These are some notes on chemotherapy that I am currently researching.
What is Chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy is a drug used to kill cancerous cells. usually used to treat cancer patients. The drug is strictly aimed at killing cells that multiply rapidly. Chemotherapy can be used alone or alongside other medication to work against cancerous cells.
What is Chemotherapy used for?
- As the sole medication to treat the cancer patient
- To shrink large tumors making surgery of a tumor possible (neoadjuvant therapy)
- To ensure that the cancerous cells are removed even after surgery
- To relieve symptoms of cancerous cells (palliative chemotherapy)
Other diseases Chemotherapy can treat
- Bone Marrow Disease
- Immune System Disorders
Side effects of Chemotherapy
- Hair loss
- Loss of appetite
- Mouth sores
- Easy bruising
Long-Term side effects of Chemotherapy
- Damage to lung tissue
- Heart problems
- Kidney problems
- Nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy)
- Risk of a second cancer
Specific chemotherapy drug: Folfox + bevacizumab
Folfox: Folfox is a combination of chemotherapy drugs (folinic acid, fluorouracil, and oxaliplatin) usually used to treat colorectal cancer in the later stages.
bevacizumab: Sold under the brand name Avastin, this drug can be used in combination to treat specific eye diseases and several types of cancers including — colon cancer, lung cancer, glioblastoma, and renal-cell carcinoma. Administration is usually through the veins.